October 12, 2008
Guest: Barry Ritholtz, CEO of FusionIQ and founder of the popular blog, The Big Picture. We discuss Cramer’s Monday sell-everything call along with market sentiment and the reasons it may be a good time to start thinking about the long side. Barry has held a bearish sentiment for some time and it looks as though he may be slowly coming out of his hibernation.
A frequent commentator on CNBC, Barry Ritholtz is a weekly guest on Kudlow & Company. He has guest-hosted Squawk Box on numerous occasions, and also appears regularly on Bloomberg, Fox, and PBS. Mr. Ritholtz was profiled in the Wall Street Journal’s Quite Contrary column (August 3, 2004; Page C3). His market perspectives are quoted regularly in the Wall Street Journal, Barron’s, Forbes, Fortunes, and other print media. He is deeply honored to be the dedicatee of The 2007 Stock Trader’s Almanac’s 40th Anniversary edition.
Mr. Ritholtz performed his graduate studies at Yeshiva University’s Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law in New York, where he focused on Economics, Anti-Trust and Corporate Law. He was a member of the Law Review, and graduated Cum Laude. His undergraduate work was at Stony Brook University, where on a Regents Scholarship, he focused on Mathematics and Physics, graduating with an Associates degree in Political Science.
Key topics discussed in this episode:
- Watch a Demo/Tour of Fusion IQ HERE
- Andrew will be speaking at The Money Show in Washington D.C. – November 7-8. If you want to meet for with a group of TDI listener/readers contact us – Click Here
- We are looking for volunteers to help out with the BESPy Awards Show. If you have talent in the area of audio editing/production and want to help produce the show, please contact us.
- Charts that look oversold – See the S&P 500 sectors and industry groups
- Credit default swaps are continuing to be a thorn in the side of the markets
- Barry’s recent update on the markets and why he is entering a few long positions
- Watch for Barry’s book – Bailout Nation and for Andrew’s guest writing on The Big Picture
- Capitulation? 3 positions we are adding – Click Here
Stocks mentioned in the episode: Apple (AAPL), Mosaic (MOS), Potash (POT), Ultra S&P 500 (SSO), Proshares Ultra Oil & Gas (DIG), Proshares Ultra Real Estate (URE), Research in Motion (RIMM),
PowerShares DB Agriculture Fund (DAB), Lehman Brothers (LEMQ), JP Morgan (JPM), Goldman Sachs (GS)
Interested in The Disciplined Investor Managed Growth Strategy?
Check out the virtual online tour HERE
March 2, 2008
Guest: Barry Ritholtz brings us FusionIQ – an amazing stock selection system and powerful tool for research. FusionIQ decisively changes the game by bringing pro-tools to the investment public – this is not your ordinary stock screener.
Mixing a set of highly critical quantitative filters with fundamental and technical overlays, this will quickly become an investor’s most trusted research assistant. Just out of the gate on March 1st, it already provides a rich set of features that will shorten the time span from research to execution. Reviewing it during its beta testing cycle, I was able to work with the system and can report that it is not only powerful and accurate; but it is mighty fast!
Interestingly, the methods that FusionIQ uses to make a decision on buy-hold-sell, is right in-line the process Horowitz & Company has used and I have written about for years:
1) Quantitative (screens)
2) Fundamental (ratios and results)
3) Technical (history and charts)
In The Disciplined Investor Podcast Episode 46, FusionIQ CEO, Barry Ritholtz, (The Big Picture) and I explore how to get the most out of FusionIQ.
Remember: The phone number to call in to request answers to your investment questions is: 1-877-623-8473 – Next Episode we will spend some time answering these.
From Fusion IQ
FusionIQ works by using our unique combination of fundamental and technical indicators to rank 275 industry groups and over 8,000 stocks, ETFs, and closed end funds. The ranking range is from 0 (worst) to 100 (best). FusionIQ then applies