December 29, 2009
Some of the more interesting and important items for December 29th :
- U.S. Home-Price Declines Slowed in October – WSJ.com – The indexes showed prices in 10 major metropolitan areas fell 6.4% in October from a year earlier, while in 20 major metropolitan areas, home prices dropped 7.3% on the year. However, both indexes were flat in October compared with the previous month.
- The Man Who Wired Silicon Valley – How many are involved and to what extent?
- China Executes British Drug Smuggler, Ignoring Brown’s Appeal for Clemency – What do we think of this?
- Biggs, Faber Unite in Predicting Dollar Rally – Interesting as this is very contrary, but if you think about it, mke sense. Almost a catch-22
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Gains in Signal Economy Will Expand Into Next Year – Good, not much as expected, but nice
- Goldman Sachs Seeks Regulatory Clearance to Create Exchange-Traded Funds – Watch out!
- Mortgage Rates Climb to 5.05% for 30-Year Loans, Highest in Three Months – That should slow down the housing progress in its tracks
- Fannie and Freddie CEOs to get up to $6M in pay (AP) – So much for pay caps…
December 28, 2009
The Durable goods orders report was headlined at a plus 0.2%, as opposed to expectations for a rise of 0.5%. But, when we strip out transportation, the 2.9% increase was far better than the 1.0% economists had anticipated.
While the total durables were disappointing, in an environment that continues to look for silver linings in any report, this is seen as a good number. AND, with all due respect, it may actually be. Read more
December 27, 2009
Guest: Kevin Hoffmann and Andrew discuss QuantaFundaTechna (QFT) and how to pinpoint stocks that may outperform. This episode is the first in a two part series that focuses on the Quantitative, Fundamental, Technical (Charting) aspects of investing. RSI, MACD and other indicators are discussed in depth as well as ratios and how to screen for profit opportunities.
Sponsor: Try GotoMyPC free for 30 days!
For this special offer, visit www.gotomypc.com/podcast
___ Read more
December 27, 2009
Jimmy Kimmel is in the mood for some slow-jammin’.
Singin’ ’bout AIG; big bonuses and the govy payback….
“This story ignites a passion in me… and you knows what it means when a news story ignites my passion…” and then they moves right to the funny Slow Jam of Read more
December 24, 2009
The University of Michigan reported their final numbers for the the month of November and adjusted downward. The expectation was for 73.8, slightly higher than the month prior. Yet it came in at a disappointing 72.5.
Revisions have been slipping on many economic indicators. Why? Well, we are not sure, but lets chalk it up to rounding issues… for now.
The ABC poll was also released on Tuesday. It was better than last month, but continues to show a weak confidence reading.
Note: This particular series we do not consider to be significant, but interesting none the less.
Disclosure: Horowitz & Company clients may hold positions of securities mentioned as of the date published.